We constantly hear about all these companies/professionals that transformed their businesses overnight and grew their revenues considerably the moment they started marketing their businesses online but we never hear about all the other companies and professionals that failed miserably at leveraging the power of online marketing.
After working with several companies and professionals that had a hard time getting clients and growing their businesses online, I realized that a lot of them failed because they:
1. Didn't know how to target the right audience on the different ad platforms and had no bidding strategy for the different ad placements.
Just like any other field, digital marketing has a learning curve and you can’t expect to master every component of it overnight. Most people that fail to achieve success with digital marketing are usually people that watch couple videos online and decide to « give it a try ». In order to achieve success growing your business online, you either need to have a lot of experience and expertise in digital marketing or have someone on your team that does.
2. Didn't have a solid strategy to start with and were not clear about who their target audience was.
Many business owners fail to see the benefits of incorporating Marketing strategy in the overall strategic business process. A well-crafted strategic plan:
- provides the business with focus and direction by identifying the best opportunities worth pursuing as well as the threats to be avoided
- identifies the tools that the company can effectively use to fight competition and gain market share
- saves company time and money by focusing the resources on attracting the right employees and investing only om marketing initiatives that support the overall business objectives
- differentiates a company from competition by identifying the distinctive advantage and the supporting elements
- translates the company vision, mission, objectives, into effective Marketing initiatives
- serves as foundation for all your communication campaigns
- improves the effectiveness of the Marketing message to customers and partners
- increases sales and profits
- creates consumer preference for the brand
3. Didn't have a compelling website and visually grabbing ad creatives.
Looking good is important because your website is often the first impression you give to your potential customers. If they found you through a search or through a link a friend gave them, your website will be your first point of contact with them.
Before they even see your store or talk to your staff, they will see your website. You want that first impression to be a good one.
Your storefront and showroom look good, right? Why do they look good? Because you know customers will see them and form an opinion about the business based on them (in addition to factors such as customer service, quality, price, etc. of course). Think of your website as your digital storefront and showroom. People are looking at it and are forming an opinion about the business based on it. So make it look good!